Colorectal surgery can include a wide range of surgical procedures to treat conditions and disorders of the colon, rectum and anus. While colorectal conditions can often be of a sensitive nature and uncomfortable to discuss, they can also range from inconvenient to life threatening.
Our Methodist Physicians specializing in colorectal surgery provide diagnoses, evaluation and surgical treatment of patients with colon and rectal conditions and diseases, ranging from constipation and irritable bowel syndrome to anal, colon and rectal cancers.
Some of the most common conditions treated by colorectal surgeons include:
- Colon and rectal cancer and colon polyps
- Inflammatory bowel disease — Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis
- Diverticulitis and diverticular disease
- Anal problems such as hemorrhoids, fistula and fissure
- Motility problems of the colon, such as constipation
- Abdominal pain
- Bleeding in the digestive tract