Comprehensive transplant program in San Antonio and South Texas
Physicians from Methodist Physician Practices have partnered with Methodist Healthcare to become a leader in transplant services across the nation and the world. Our teams of expert medical professionals have worked with over 5,000 transplant recipients and use cutting-edge research and technology to provide our patients with the level of quality, service and care they deserve.
Transplant services take place in local Methodist Physicians clinics, as well as at Methodist Hospital, Methodist Children's Hospital and Methodist Hospital Specialty and Transplant. In addition, there are numerous outreach clinics throughout the state of Texas.
Methodist Healthcare was the first organization in the country to establish a comprehensive transplant program that combines both adult solid organ and adult and pediatric stem cell / blood and bone marrow transplant programs. Now, we have grown to become a top choice for people from all over the world. We have assembled a team of world-class physicians, nurses, administrators and coordinators with vast experience in the field of transplantation.
- Adult Blood and Marrow Transplant — Also sometimes referred to as a stem cell transplant, a bone marrow / blood and marrow transplant is a procedure that takes unhealthy, blood-forming marrow cells and replaces them with healthy ones.
- Pediatric Blood and Marrow Transplant — While the general concept of pediatric and adult blood and marrow transplants may be the same — replacing unhealthy cells with healthy ones — the age of the patient brings more challenges and coordinating teams.
Abdominal Organ Transplant (Kidney, Liver and Pancreas)
- Kidney transplant program: Methodist Healthcare offers the most comprehensive kidney transplant services in San Antonio and the state of Texas.
- Liver transplant program: As one of the top programs in the country for transplantation, hepatology and liver disease care, we have performed over 700 transplants since 2001.
- Pancreas transplant program: With more than 100 pancreas transplants and combination kidney-pancreas transplants performed, Methodist Healthcare has the most preferred program in Texas.
- Advanced Heart Failure and Transplant — Our Advanced Heart Failure and Transplant Program not only provides heart transplants for patients with heart failure, but offers education and support services to ensure a healthy life post-transplant.